Directly related to the Deputy Minister for Agriculture.
1. Preparation of legislation and regulations for all fish resources activities and distribution of production capacity according to the comparative advantage of the regions.
2. Preparation of plans, programs, and research agenda aimed at promoting and raising production, productive efficiency and diversity in aquaculture products in coordination with the relevant authorities.
3. Preparation of plans and standards for improving fish production systems according to the comparative advantage of the regions in coordination with the relevant authorities.
4. Preservation of fish breeds and production of aquatic organisms seeds and distribution of such seeds in order to increase productivity and improve quality in coordination with the relevant research centers.
5. Preparation of standards and controls related to raising the quality of fishery products from the beginning of production processes until the beginning of marketing operations to meet the need of consumers through the application of the preventive biosecurity system in coordination with the relevant governmental bodies (such as the Saudi Standers, Metrology and Quality Organization, Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs, Saudi Food and Drug Authority, General Authority of Meteorology and Environmental Protection).
6. Development of a database of fishery project data and provide it to stakeholders.
7. Take an active role in raising awareness by taking advantage of the experiences and knowledge gained from research centers, scientific meetings and international conferences regarding fish production.
8- Supervise the licensing of aquaculture projects from application submission to the pre-issuance phase of the licensing, and the technical follow-up of these projects in the post-issuance phase.
9. Develop policies, regulations, plans and standards for the health and protection of aquatic organisms and the safety of their products, and monitor, evaluate the implementation of the above-mentioned polices to ensure achieving the desired objectives.
10. Prepare plans and programs to protect resources wealth in the Kingdom from the risks of environmental pollution and aquatic diseases and thus control the pollution and the spread of diseases in cooperation with the relevant bodies.
11. Prepare plans and programs for disease control and conservation of aquatic environment in coordination with other relevant sectors.
12. Developing the fishing harbors system and preparing its own strategy, including:
a. Develop plans, programs and standards necessary for the establishment, development and maintenance of fishing harbors in line with strategic directions.
b. Develop plans and programs for the provision of all services for fishing harbors in coordination with the concerned authorities and in accordance with the policies and procedures followed.
c. Develop programs and schedules of monitoring trips on fishing harbors to ensure the safety of the Kingdom's water and beaches from pollution and assess its performance.
d. Develop plans and programs for security and safety procedures in fishing harbors and facilities in coordination with the relevant authorities.
e. Supervise the fishing harbors in the regions and follow-up the approved projects in line with the policies and procedures followed.
f. Contribute in the development and implementation of a program aimed at carrying out the periodic evaluation and maintenance of fishing harbors, installations and buildings, and follow-up on the implementation of this program in coordination with the relevant authorities.
g. Coordinate with other relevant government agencies on the construction on all the coasts of the Kingdom (Red Sea and Arabian Gulf).
13. Communicate and coordinate with international organizations concerned with aquatic health to obtain information on diseases that may affect the public health.
14. Develop a database of fish resources information, systems and controls, and periodically update them and make them available to relevant authorities.
15. Prepare plans and programs for monitoring and biosecurity operations and activities in line with production objectives and strategic directions.
16. Follow up on the implementation of the Biosecurity Plan for Aquaculture Projects.
17Develop special standards for the issuance of import and export permits for aquatic organisms in coordination with the relevant authorities.
18. Develop policies, legislation and technical regulations for fish quarantines activities in the regions in coordination with the General Directorate of Quarantines in the Deputy-Ministry for Animal Resources.
19. Coordinate with the General Directorate of Quarantines in the Deputy-Ministry to ensure that all imported, exported and transient fish consignments are examined by the quarantines in the Kingdom's ports to ensure that they are not infected with any diseases, as well as to ensure providing the subsequent treatment, and carrying out clearance, execution, re-export, quarantine, and other quarantine procedures.
20. Set the requirements and agenda of research and studies of conventional fisheries and traditional crafts to evaluate them and enhance their productive capacities.
21. Ensure that standards and conditions for fishermen are applied in accordance with approved policies and procedures.
22.Develop standards and controls for permits and licenses in accordance with the approved regulations and procedures.
23. Develop standards of fishing methods and gear used by fishermen.
24. Determine the programs and plans for the development of fish stocks and increase local productivity in line with the strategic directions.
25. Work closely with the organizational units concerned with production to identify the effects of fishing on fish stocks and to submit technical recommendations thereon and take the appropriate action accordingly.
26. Protect and develop marine fisheries and promote their contribution to food security.
29. Identify the types and species of aquatic organisms on which a fishing ban was imposed during specific dates of the year.
30. Identify and ban the prohibited fishing means, equipment and methods during specified periods of the year.
31. Help fishermen using modern fishing equipment and encourage them to establish cooperative societies among themselves.
32. Regulate the import and export of fishing boat gear and equipment.
33. Coordinate with the relevant authorities in neighboring countries and international organizations to develop a plan that assures the optimum utilization of aquatic organisms breeding and development, and to take appropriate measures for the management of shared fisheries in adjacent waters and the high seas, in accordance with the relevant rules of international conventions.
34. Develop conditions and specifications for the fishing boats, set the number of fishing boats workers and the authorized or prohibited fishing gear and methods, and identify marine safety equipment.
35. Set the seasons and locations in which fishing of aquatic resources is and regulating their disposition during the time of the ban.
36. Determine the types and quantities of living aquatic wealth and their products that may be imported and exported.
37. Identify the types, sizes, and ages of living aquatic resources that may not be fished and how to act when such aquatic organisms are fished.
38. Conduct scientific research on living aquatic resources in waters and seabed and encourage the competent authorities and scientific centers to conduct research in this field.
39. Regulate investment and obtain the necessary licenses for fishing on the high seas which are not covered in the Kingdom's water, territorial sea and the exclusive economic zone.
40. Control and inspection of fishing boats and vessels and ensure their compliance with the prescribed conditions and specifications and that staff have the licenses and documents provided for in this law in coordination with the concerned authorities.
41. Conduct field survey of fishing and the fishing destination at the level of the coastal areas, as well as issue the annual statistics of fish resources for fishing sector.
42. Develop mechanisms and methodologies for monitoring and assessing risks related to the fish resources sector in line with leading practices.
43. Identify the risks related to the fisheries sector and propose new methods and tools to tackle with the risks and take the necessary action accordingly in cooperation with relevant organizational units to reduce them.
44. Prepare and update lists of all aquatic diseases and submit them to the competent authorities in the Ministry to take appropriate actions.